最近、Netflixやyoutubeで”Root cause”と題した歯の根の治療後の歯と全身の癌の関連を謳うビデオが米国で広まり、それについてADA(米国歯科医師会）AAE（米国歯内療法学会）AADR（米国歯科リサーチ学会）が共同でアナウンスメントを出す事態になっています。これらの学会は、10年に亘る研究で歯の感染と全身の癌に関しては相関がない事。また治療そのものはむしろ感染を除去するものとして、反証しています。今後このような偽りの情報が翻訳されて本邦にも届くかとは、思いますが、根拠のない情報（フェイク）には、くれぐれもお気をつけ下さい。下記は米国歯科医師会会長ジェフリー M コール先生が会員に当てたメールの全文です。（英語）
ADA, AAE and AADR Take Action on Root Canal Film
As members of a science-based organization, I’m sure you find misleading “scientific claims” as frustrating as I do. The latest piece of misinformation to catch the ADA’s attention is a film entitled Root Cause, which is hosted on Netflix and several other platforms. This film alleges root canals are linked to numerous medical issues—a claim that has been disproven by decades’ worth of peer-reviewed, scientific evidence.
Fortunately, the film has thus far failed to generate much attention from the general public or the media. Please know that if you view the film, if only to see the misguided premise, you are increasing its viewership number and conveying an inflated sense of interest in the film.
The ADA is working with the American Association of Endodontists (AAE) and the American Association for Dental Research (AADR) to counter the long-disproven claims made in the film, while being cautious not to bring additional, undeserved attention to the film. We have co-authored a letter from our three organizations pointing out that offering this film does a disservice to the public because it helps to spread fear-based misinformation and speculation that is not supported by medical evidence.
If your patients ask you about the safety of root canals in general or as a result of this film, here are some suggested talking points:
• Approximately 25 million new endodontic treatments, including root canals, are performed safely and effectively each year.
• Root canal treatment eliminates bacteria from an infected tooth, prevents reinfection of the tooth, and saves the natural tooth.
• Endodontic treatment is often the best option for a patient with an infected tooth, allowing the person to keep their tooth, continue to eat normally, and maintain their natural smile.
If you are specifically asked about the premise of the film Root Cause, here are additional suggested talking points:
• The film is based on research conducted in the 1920s that was later disproved.
• Decades of research shows that there is no valid, scientific link between endodontically-treated teeth and cancer or any chronic diseases.
• You can learn more about root canals and endodontics at MouthHealthy.org, which is the American Dental Association’s website for the public (or you can hand patients this ADA brochure. Use the promo code 19403E to save 15 percent on all ADA Catalog products until May 3).
Please know that the ADA, AAE and AADR are shining a light on the safety of root canal treatment and the importance of peer-reviewed, scientific evidence, in order to better serve you, our members and the patients that you serve.
Jeffrey M. Cole, D.D.S., M.B.A.
American Dental Association